Saturday, November 14, 2009

Grandparents Day

As you know I am a teacher, and yesterday we had Grandparents Day at our school. It was so great to see all the grandparents, parents, family members and friends who came out to make the day of a child! All of the children in my class had someone to come eat with them. They were so thrilled to be able to eat with them, show off their classroom, and visit. It made me really miss my own grandparents. All of whom have went on to be with our Lord! I wanted to share a little bit about each of my grandparents.

My maternal grandfather (Grandpap) Reid Nicholson unfortunately passed away at age 52, and I was only 6 months old, so I never got to know him. What I do know is he was a man of integrity, who worked hard and loved his family. He was a rancher who loved horses and also loved to participate in rodeos. He is a veteran, who served his country. Although his life was not as long as my other 3 grandparents, he was a well respected man, who was loved and now missed by all of his family and friends! I just wish I was given the opportunity to know him.

My maternal grandmother (Grandmommie) Floriece Nicholson passed away at age 74, when I was 8 months pregnant. This was very difficult for me. I was extremely close to her. When I was a child, my favorite place to go was to her house! She was so loving, and kind. I remember listening to the stories of her childhood, when she first started dating my Grandpap, and when she was raising her children. I could listen to the stories over and over again! I remember what a wonderful cook she was. Everything always seemed to taste better at her house. Even sandwiches seemed to be better there. She was a talented seemstress, a loving wife, mother and grandmother. She was always kind and generous of her time helping others. I love her and miss her so much! I wish she could have met my son, but I know she is looking down from heaven watching over him now!

My paternal grandfather (Grandpa) Tom Watkins passed away at 87 (when I was a sophomore in high school). This was the first funeral I ever attended. It was also the first person I was close to that I lost. He was a loving and caring person. Always giving to others. He was always happy, and singing. (one song I remember him singing in his shop when I was little was ...sweet potato pie and a shut my mouth...). He was a hard worker who farmed the land and passed on his talents to my dad (who was adopted). My grandparents both were so blessed to adopt my father. He was the joy of their lives. They were so proud of him. My grandpa was a very patient man. He loved his family, and worked hard to provide for them. I miss him very much! In his last years here on earth, he was diagnosed with alzheimers. It was hard to see him not remember who his wife was, or who we, his grandchildren, were, but he did recognize my dad more than anyone. He was so proud of him.

My paternal grandmother (Grandma) Eva Watkins passed away in Dec. of 2005. My son was 1 1/2 years old at the time. (He still remembers her and asks for her often). She was a teacher for 37 years. She was a hard worker as well, she was stern, but loving. She too loved her family. She loved sharing her legacy with her grandchildren. I was blessed to have her fill out a memory book for me, where she wrote in her handwriting, various stories of her life. I will treasure it always! She also played the piano for her church (which I did as well). She was so excited that 2 of her granddaughters are now teachers as well in the public school system. I was honored to follow in her footsteps. She always expressed to me how adopting my father changed her life. She felt truly blessed to call him her son. I miss her very much!

Although I don't have any living grandparents, I feel truly blessed to have been given 4 wonderful grandparents. They are all heros in my eyes!

Now I claim my husbands Grandparents...Ed and Ann Bishop. They are both loving and kind people who also work hard and love their families, and I feel blessed to have them in my life now.

My husbands grandparents

I wish I had digital pictures of my grandparents...


No comments:

Post a Comment